Bryn Mawr, Lower Merion
Set on 1.69 landscaped acres in Bryn Mawr’s estate area, this classic English manor estate home combines an impressive, traditional appearance with fine materials and exceptional craftsmanship.
Built by the highly respected Michael Cutler Builders and designed by architect Scott McIntyre of McIntyre, Capron & Associates, it offers the comfort and aesthetic integrity of a home where form consistently follows function. Brilliantly lit by an exceptional number of windows, and rich in architectural detail, it is at once grand and welcoming.
Outside, the charming varied roofline, textured façade and spacious terraces anchor the house gracefully to the surrounding gardens. Inside, handsome touches like oversized baseboard and crown moldings, galleries designed to display paintings and other art, and a foyer with a wall of windows that overlooks the terrace and grounds delight both guests and family.
The home’s location -- within walking distance of the charming village of Gladwyne and with easy access to Center City and points West -- makes it even more desirable.
Builders of some of the Main Line’s loveliest new homes, the Cutlers are known for their attention to detail – and their attention to their clients’ desires. Currently this handsome home features five bedrooms, seven full baths and two powder rooms. Options include space for additional bedrooms and baths at your discretion.
Built to reflect the finest traditions of Main Line style, the home’s exterior employs a number of classic textures and materials.
- The front exterior facade is of six-inch stone with brick detailing, and custom cedar shutters. Additonal exterior finishes include stucco and decorative battens. Three chimneys rise above a roof of cedar shingles with copper flashing.
- The exterior is further enhanced by three custom 9’ x 8’ garage doors with divided light windows and shutters that match those on the house.
- Shaded by mature trees, the property’s entrance is marked by estate fencing.
- A motor court leads to an impressive entryway with a custom door of wood and specialty glass.
- Gracefully landscaped grounds with handsome flagstone walks surround the house, and two terraces, one with a masonry fireplace, offer lovely views.
The very finest materials and best technology have been used throughout.
- The home’s abundant windows are all Pella aluminum clad Architectural Series.
- Climate control is provided by four high-performance heating and air conditioning systems with humidifiers and multiple zoning.
- All areas have Jem-Wen doors and recessed lighting.
- An elevator, located near the rear staircase, provides access to all four floors.
In addition,the entire house – including the rear terrace – is wired for sound with separate volume controls in different areas.
Ceilings that range from 10 - 13 feet high, beautifully detailed built-in cabinetry, walls of windows, handsome fireplaces and gleaming custom 5” select oak floors make the first floor exceptionally warm and elegant.
With its limestone floor, generous coat closet and view into the magnificent foyer, the vestibule is a fitting introduction to this grand home.
An oak and poplar staircase with mahogany handrails and double volutes is the centerpiece of a truly magnificent foyer.
- A wall of windows provides lovely views of the grounds, and glass doors give access to the rear terrace.
- Dramatic cased entryways to the Formal Living Room, Formal Dining Room and Formal Powder Room as well as access to the staircase to the lower level.
- Artfully inlaid walnut patterns highlight the gleaming oak floor.
Formal Living Room
This spacious room has windows on two exposures, including a bay window to the front. Its masonry gas fireplace is flanked by two elliptical cased openings with built-in cabinetry.
Double doors from the Living Room open to a bright and cheerful conservatory. Its two walls of windows and lovely views of the grounds that make it an exceptionally pleasant place to relax or entertain.
With its masonry fireplace and three walls of wainscoting, the library is a perfect retreat. This handsome room also features:
- Built-in wood bookcases, cabinets and a wet bar.
- True divided light double French doors with transoms that open to the terrace.
Formal Dining Room
Perfect for entertaining, the dining room is traditional in style with decorative wall details.
- A masonry fireplace with custom surrounds forms the centerpiece of a wall that also features windows to the front.
- Handsome cased openings lead to the Foyer, rear Hall and Butler’s Pantry.
As beautiful as it is functional, the kitchen is highlighted by Clive Christian cabinetry hand made in England and finished on-site.
- Glass fronted cabinets have in-cabinet lighting.
- Countertops are a distinctive blend of wood and granite and a center island provides counter-height seating.
- State-of-the-art appliances include a separate Subzero refrigerator and freezer, two Meile dishwashers, a 48” 6-burner Wolf Rangetop, 30” Wolf wall oven, 24” Wolf convection microwave, and a 30” warming drawer.
Walk-in Pantry Area
Room sized and with convenient access to both the Kitchen and Garage, this pantry has room for a second refrigerator as well as additional storage.
This true traditional Butler’s Pantr, with its generous cased openings and custom glass door cabinet, is ideal when the event calls for catering.
Exceptionally bright and inviting, this delightful room features windows on three walls, French doors to the flagstone terrace and a soaring, 13’ vaulted ceiling.
With French doors to the west-facing terrace, a wall of windows and a custom workstation desk, this private and comfortable room is ideal for working, planning or simply taking a moment for yourself.
A beamed ceiling, masonry fireplace with gas line and entertainment center combine to make this stylish room ideal for relaxing with friends and family.
- A wall of windows provides lovely views of the rear grounds.
- French doors open on the flagstone terrace.
- Handsome cased openings lead to the Kitchen and Breakfast Room.
Mud Room/Rear Hall
Spacious and convenient, this well-designed area includes a Family Powder Room and a handsome Rear Staircase that runs up to the third floor and down to the lower level.
- The staircase combines oak treads with poplar risers, mahogany handrails and five inch select oak landings.
- An elevator adjacent to the stairs serves all four floors.
- The area also includes a custom built-in wall unit with cubbies and a coat closet.
A particularly attractive feature, the generous gallery connects the Foyer to the Family Room and Kitchen, and serves as a perfect setting for paintings, family photos or other treasures.
Formal Powder Room
Located between the Foyer and Library, this powder room includes a furniture style vanity.
The splendid, curving main staircase with its wrap-around balcony rises past wainscoted walls to a reading area with French door to an outside balcony.
- A hallway from this area leads to a spectacular wall of windows overlooking the rear grounds.
- Bright and airy with nine and ten foot ceilings, the second floor also features a six foot wide Gallery with hardwood flooring, decorative crown moldings and recessed lighting that leads from the Master Bedroom Suite on one wing to the secondary bedrooms on the other.
Master Bedroom Suite
Private and sumptuous, the master bedroom suite has a ten-foot box tray ceiling with indirect lighting and a double door entry.
- French doors lead to a comfortable sitting room with a gas fireplace and a dressing area with a domed ceiling.
- The suite is served by two generous walk-in closets fitted with an abundance of built-in shelving and fixtures.
Divided into His and Hers baths with stone flooring and a walk-through shower, the large Master Bathroom features furniture-style vanities with stone tops. Her bath has a free standing air jet tub and a bay window that overlooks the treetops.
There are four additional bedrooms on the second level, each with carpeting, spacious closets and large windows.
- All of these secondary bedrooms have their own elegant limestone or tiled baths with custom vanities, mirrors and countertops.
- Bedroom three is highlighted by an 11’ cathedral ceiling.
- Bedroom five has a double door opening and may be expanded by 227 square feet for use as a sitting room or bonus area if you desire.
Conveniently located in the secondary bedroom wing, the large laundry room has a tile floor, custom cabinets, laundry tub, washer/dryer hook-up and ample room for a folding area and a second washer and dryer.
Third Floor (Optional)
Graced with windows that look out on the treetops and skylights that bring the stars so close you feel you could almost touch them, the third floor offers an exceptional opportunity. If you choose, it can be finished to contain a spacious family room and a very special bedroom suite with private bath.
The walk-out lower level is day-lit by windows on two sides and contains both finished and unfinished areas.
- Two custom staircases, both made of oak and poplar with mahogany handrails, lead to this level -- one to the finished area, the other to the currently unfinished section.
- The finished portion contains a bar with granite countertop and sink and ample room for family recreation. There is also a full bathroom with shower.
- The unfinished, optional area can include areas like a home theatre, exercise room and wine cellar at your discretion.
- The entire lower level is climate controlled by its own dedicated HVAC system.
- French doors provide access to the rear grounds.