Haverford, Lower Merion
Set on 1.74 landscaped acres in Lower Merion’s Northside Haverford estate area, Arbor Aves is a classic estate manor home that combines an impressive, traditional appearance with fine materials and exceptional craftsmanship.
Built by the highly respected Michael Cutler Builders and designed by architect Scott McIntyre of McIntyre, Capron & Associates, it offers a range of formal and informal settings and gracefully accommodates both family activities and entertaining on a grand scale. Brilliantly lit by an exceptional number of windows, and rich in architectural detail, it is at once grand and welcoming.
The exterior includes an elegant roofl ine, stone façade and spacious terraces which anchor the house gracefully to the surrounding gardens. Inside, extensive millwork includes intricate baseboard and crown moldings, galleries designed to display paintings and other art, and a Reception Hall with a wall of windows that overlooks the terrace and grounds to delight both guests and family.
The home’s location – within a short distance of Haverford and Bryn Mawr shops and with easy access to Center City and points West -- makes it even more desirable.
Builders of some of the Main Line’s loveliest new homes, the Cutlers are known for their attention to detail and focus on their clients’ desires. Currently this handsome home features six bedrooms, ten full baths and a formal powder room. Options include space for additional bedrooms and baths at your discretion.
Built to reflect the finest traditions of Main Line style, the home’s exterior employs a number of classic textures and materials.
- The front exterior façade is of stone with brick detailing, and custom cedar shutters. Additional exterior finishes include stucco and decorative battens. Four chimneys rise above a roof of cedar shingles with copper flashing.
- The exterior is further enhanced by four custom 9’ x 8’ garage doors.
Shaded by mature trees, the property’s gated entrance is marked by estate fencing and original brick and limestone columns.
- A motor court leads to an impressive entryway with a custom wood door and specialty glass.
- Gracefully landscaped grounds, handsome fl agstone walks and terraces surround the house and offer lovely views.
The very finest materials and best technology have been used throughout.
- The home’s abundant windows are all Pella aluminum clad Architectural Series.
- Climate control is provided by four high-performance heating and air conditioning systems with humidifi ers and multiple zoning.
- All areas have Jeld-Wen doors and recessed lighting.
- A centrally located elevator provides access to all four floors.
In addition, the entire house – including the rear terrace – is wired for sound with separate volume controls for each area.
Ceilings that range from 10 - 13 feet high, beautifully detailed built-in cabinetry, walls of windows, handsome fireplaces and gleaming custom 5” select white oak floors make the first floor exceptionally warm and elegant.
With its stone floor, generous coat closet and view into the magnificent Reception Hall, the Vestibule is a fitting introduction to this grand home.
An oak and poplar staircase with mahogany handrails and double volutes is the centerpiece of a truly magnificent Reception Hall.
- A wall of windows provides lovely views of the grounds, and French doors give access to the rear terrace.
- Dramatic cased entryways to the Formal Living Room, Formal Dining Room and Formal Powder Room as well as access to the staircase to the lower level.
- An elegant stone floor highlights the view from front to back.
- The reception hall also features a convenient elevator to all levels and a large walk-in closet.
Formal Living Room
This spacious room is filled with light from a bay window to the front and two sets of French doors to the terrace and garden. Its large masonry fireplace with gas line is surrounded by a magnificent stone mantel.
Double doors, from the Living Room, open to a bright and cheerful conservatory. Its two walls of windows and French doors, with lovely views of the grounds, make it an exceptionally pleasant place to relax or entertain.
With its masonry fireplace and walls of mahogany, the library is a perfect retreat. This handsome room also features:
- Built-in wood bookcases, cabinets and a wet bar.
- Two sets of true divided light double French doors, one opening on the Reception Hall, the other to the terrace.
Formal Powder Room
Located between the Reception Hall and Library, this Powder Room includes a furniture style vanity.
Formal Dining Room
Perfect for entertaining, the Dining Room is traditional in style with decorative wall and ceiling details, including elaborate wainscoting. It is highlighted by a large and distinctive bay window to the front of the property.
- Sweeping and grand, it is more than spacious enough to accommodate a banquet.
- Handsome cased openings lead to the Foyer, Hall and Butler’s Pantry.
- Fireplace with custom mantle.
A generous gallery with barrel ceiling connects the Reception Hall to the Family Room and Kitchen. This particularly attractive feature serves as a perfect setting for paintings, family photos or other treasures.
An 11 foot ceiling with custom millwork, masonry fireplace with gas line and entertainment center combine to make this stylish room ideal for relaxing with friends and family.
- A wall of windows provides lovely views of the rear grounds.
- French doors open onto the flagstone terrace.
- Handsome cased openings lead to the Kitchen and Breakfast Room.
As beautiful as it is functional, the kitchen is highlighted by Clive Christian cabinetry hand made in England.
- Glass fronted cabinets have in-cabinet lighting.
- Countertops are of marble.
- Center island provides abundant counter-height seating.
- State-of-the-art appliances include two 36” Sub-Zero refrigerators with freezer drawers, two Meile dishwashers, 43” CornuFe` range, 30” Wolf wall oven, 24” Wolf microwave oven and 30” warming drawer.
This true functional Butler’s Pantry, with its generous cased openings and custom glass door cabinets, is ideal when the event calls for catering.
- Meile Dishwasher
- Wine chiller
- Deep sink
- Separate spaces for prep, cleanup, storage and display
Room sized and with convenient access to both the Kitchen and Garage, this pantry has additional storage.
Surrounded by windows, this exceptionally bright and inviting room features French doors that open onto the flagstone terrace and a soaring, 13’ vaulted ceiling.
With French doors to a north-east terrace, a wall of windows and a custom workstation desk, this private and comfortable room is ideal for working, planning or simply taking a moment for yourself.
Mud Room/Rear Hall
Spacious and convenient, this well-designed area contains a custom Rear Staircase that rises up to the second floor and runs down to the lower level.
- A Full Bathroom with shower.
- The staircase combines oak treads with poplar risers, mahogany handrails and five inch select oak landings.
- Separate family and garage entrances.
- The area also includes a custom built-in wall unit with cubbies and a walk-in coat closet.
The splendid, curving main staircase with its wrap-around balcony rises past wainscoted walls to a reading area.
Bright and airy with nine and ten foot ceilings, the second fl oor also features a six foot wide Hall with hardwood flooring, decorative crown moldings and recessed lighting that leads from the Master Bedroom Suite on one wing to the secondary bedrooms on the other.
Master Bedroom Suite
Private and sumptuous, the Master Bedroom Suite is entered through double French doors and features:
- A private sleeping chamber with tall windows, box tray ceiling and a recessed wall for plasma TV.
- A comfortable Sitting Room with a masonry fireplace with gas line.
- Separate His and Hers Baths, both with heated floors.
- Shared Steam Shower.
- Her private bath area includes a water closet, linen closet, custom vanity and luxurious soaking tub set in a bay window that overlooks the treetops.
- His private bath area features a water closet, linen closet and custom vanity.
- Separate His and Hers walk-in closets fitted with an abundance of built-in shelving and fixtures.
- A morning kitchen with sink and Sub Zero refrigerator and freezer drawers.
There are five additional en suite Bedrooms on the second level, each with carpeting, spacious closets and large windows.
- All of these secondary bedrooms have their own elegant tiled Baths with custom vanities, mirrors and countertops.
- Bedroom three is highlighted by an 11’ cathedral ceiling.
- Bedroom five has a double door opening and dressing area.
Conveniently located in the secondary bedroom wing, the large laundry room has a tile floor, custom cabinets, laundry tub, two washer/dryer hook-ups and ample room for a folding area and a built-in ironing board.
A room-like cedar closet is located at the top of the third floor staircase.
The walk-out Lower Level is day-lit by windows and doors.
- Two custom staircases, both made of oak and poplar with mahogany handrails, lead to this level.
- The Lower Level contains a bar with granite countertops and sink and ample room for family recreation. There are two full bathrooms with showers.
- Areas on this level can be customized as a media room and wine cellar at the option of the customer.
- The entire Lower Level is climate controlled by its own dedicated HVAC system.
- French doors provide access to the rear grounds.
- Elevator access from any level.
Third Floor (Optional)
Graced with windows that look out on the treetops and skylights that bring the stars so close you feel you could almost touch them, the third floor offers an exceptional opportunity. Accessed by stair or elevator, it can be finished to contain a spacious family room and a very special bedroom suite with sitting area and private bath.
Green is not just a color. It is our philosophy of building better value with the environment in mind. Environmentally friendly features include:
- Roof-natural cedar shakes
- R38 Blown-in Insulation
- Windows – Pella Architectural Series – low-e with double pane insulation, trim moisture resistant
- Stone – All natural, locally supplied
- Pavers – permeable pavement system to allow water to filter into the subsoil
- Walls – R23 Blown-in Insulation
- HVAC – Energy Star zoned for optimum control
- Flooring – Wood finished on site with low VOC finishes
- Stone – natural materials
- Kitchen – natural woods and stone, Energy Star appliances
- Plumbing – Shower heads, toilets, low water usage
- Paint – Benjamin Moore – low and no VOC